Of the countless benefits to being a college student, I honestly feel as though taking advantage of student discounts is the least used. Maybe it’s the stigma of being a poor college student, but some students don’t like the feeling of having to ask for something cheaper (I have no idea, but this is what I’ve observed–but then again, I might just be acquaintances with too many rich college students). But anyways, as well known as Student ID Discounts are, the least advertised are the clothing stores’ discounts for college students!
As often as we college students hang out at malls or shop retail for leisure or therapy, you’d think we would be more aware of these open secrets. So I am going to do us all a favor and bestow onto you shopaholics the top clothing stores that offer college student discounts:
- Ann Taylor & Ann Taylor LOFT: You don’t necessarily think college student when you think of Ann Taylor — if anything, it has more of a “working mom” feel to it. But as of February 2011, Ann Taylor has been aiming to make a shift to the college-to-career brand, and you can see that in their marketing efforts as well. Show your ID, and you get 15% off your entire purchase here! It can be full price or sale items, your ID still gets you the additional 15% off.
- Banana Republic: While more expensive than its sister store, GAP, Banana Republic offers a lot of stylish and practical pieces for college students, especially when you need a decent suit for that summer internship. Your ID gets you 15% off here, and it still applies when the merchandise you want is already on sale in the store.
- Club Monaco: Not exactly the cheapest store, but it is student friendly, with a 20% discount until you graduate. The only downside is that you can’t combine the discount with any other offers, but still, a 20% discount is better than a lot of mid-season sales. Take advantage of it!
- Charlotte Russe: CR is one of those stores where things are almost always cheaper online than in the store, but if you don’t want to pay for shipping, a valid ID can get you some cute pieces in the store at 15% off!
- J.Crew: This lovely store offers great quality, casual basics for your wardrobe. You can only get the 15% discount off non-sale items, but there’s a go-around with this–go to J.Crew outlets and show your student ID there! J.Crew also lets you get student discounts online with a valid .edu email! You can’t get better than that.
- Madewell: Like its sister store, J.Crew, Madewell also offers a 15% to students who show their IDs in the store. The jeans here may be a bit pricey at around $100 a pop, but if you consider the great fit, the quality, and the additional 15% discount, it makes their clothes that much more affordable.
- Rugby: Ralph Lauren’s college student line caters to a more preppy look and may be more expensive than other chain stores listed here, but their 15% discount for students that are not limited to full priced clothes like some of the chain stores listed here. You can also get a coupon online by providing your .edu email address to get 15% off your online order.
- The Limited: You can get a 15% discount with a valid school ID.
- Urban Outfitters: You can get a 10% discount here–but not everyday! Check your nearest Urban Outfitters for days they give student discounts to your purchases.